You’ve decided to commit to your health by beginning a workout program. Congratulations!
Your next step is to block out your workout times in your calendar. Treat them just like you would a doctor appointment or an important business meeting. That means, you don’t schedule other events during that time. It also means that you don’t cancel, you don’t not show up, you don’t come in late.
We aren’t advising this just to sound harsh and mean. On the contrary, we know what a big deal it was for you to make this commitment. We know how deeply your desire to get healthy, to be fit and to feel good runs. We want to give you every opportunity to get it right! If you do yourself the favor of beginning with this mindset of how important these appointments with yourself are, it’ll make success much easier.
On the other hand, if you’re like many folks it might look like this:
- Monday: Made it!
- Wednesday: Made it!
- Friday: Accidentally scheduled a dentist appointment during workout time
- Monday: Signed up for carpool
- Wednesday: Made it!
- Friday: Slept in, missed session
The above example is how the best intentions get thwarted. Then what happens? You don’t see progress as much so your motivation wanes. Then what’s next? You quit.
Instead, go in fully intentional. And, if you’ve been working out for a while, just adopt this mindset now. Using whatever schedule management system you use (digital, planner, command station), add in your workout times. Mark them as busy & unavailable. Don’t leave it up to the version of you who is on the phone, cooking dinner, trying to reschedule an appointment to remember if that time will conflict with your workout schedule. Nope, get it blocked out as an appointment so that you never even consider the possibility.
That’s the scheduling portion of this concept. But how about the mental part? Treating your workout sessions as important as a doctor appointment or a business meeting means a few things:
- Don’t be late
- Attendance is non-negotiable
- No cancellations unless you would also not go into work or the doctor
- Show up looking the part (you’re an athlete, you’re strong, you’re amazing!
Taking yourself and your goals seriously is a great way to increase your chances of success. Own it!
We also happen to think your workout sessions are as important as a doctor appointment. Why?
- One of the well-proven exercise facts is that exercising regularly lowers your chances of premature death by 30%.
- Exercise reduces your risk of stroke and coronary heart disease by up to 35%.
- You’re up to 50% less likely to get type 2 diabetes.
- You’re 68% less likely to fracture your hip as you age.
- In some cases, exercise is as effective as antidepressants.
- Adults who exercised the equivalent of 1.25 hours of brisk walking per week had an 18% lower risk of depression compared with those who did not exercise. 2.5 hours lowered the risk 25%.
- Exercise improves sleep. Those who exercise are 1/3 less likely to report sleep problems and 1/2 less likely to report daytime tiredness.
- Students who exercise can have higher academic performance.
We also think your workout sessions are as important as and akin to a business meeting. Why?
- Your health is directly related to your performance in all areas of your life.
- You need dedicated time to work on your goals and projects, just like in business.
- The more you plan and treat your sessions like a multi-faceted project, the more likely you’ll be able to overcome all obstacles.
- Different challenges and obstacles come up as you progress on your goal. Your “business meeting” aka workout is a chance to check in and see what’s going right, what’s going wrong and what adjustments need to be made.
- Your personal trainer attends your business meeting with you and helps to address all the things aforementioned.
There you have it! That’s how & why you should treat your personal training sessions like a doctor appointment!
While we’re at it, we’ll tell you that the same mindset applies to all of our coaching sessions, whether it’s life, health, financial or business. The investment you make in yourself is worth taking seriously. And the level of seriousness you take about the coaching process is directly correlated to the level of success you’ll have.
If you need help with this or any other life change, please get in touch. We are here to make it uncomplicated & doable.
Ideal Balance is The Life Coaching Facility in Navarre, Florida that focuses on Fitness, Family & Finance. We help our clients create the discipline & habits they need to strip off what’s holding them back from living the life God created them to live. We work with clients in 1-on-1 sessions in person, virtually and in small groups. We offer life coaching, financial coaching, health coaching. We also offer personal training and home organization locally here in Navarre, Florida. Fill out the information below if you’re interested in our help and we will contact you.